Tuesday 11 October 2011

Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Breast Cancer

If you've been recently diagnosed with breast cancer, you probably have many thoughts running through your head and you may feel unable to think clearly. Your doctor will understand this. You should feel free to ask questions about any concerns you may have. Be sure to take a pen and pad with you, as you probably won't remember all the answers. If the doctor uses words you don't understand, ask for an explanation.
You have the right to have your concerns answered. If your doctor does not have time to give you all the information you need, the nursing staff in his or her office may be able to answer your questions. You may also want to ask if there is any patient literature available.

If possible, bring a spouse, friend, or relative with you. They can take notes from your conversation with the doctor. You may even want to tape record your discussion so you can replay the answers to your questions at a later time. Of course, you must first ask your doctor's permission to do this.


General
  • What type of cancer do I have?
  • How far advanced is my breast cancer?
  • Do you know how aggressive my tumor is?
  • What is the recommended treatment for my stage of breast cancer?
  • When should I start treatment?
  • If I have this treatment, what are my chances of recurrence?
  • If the breast cancer comes back, can it be treated successfully again?
  • What other tests are you recommending?
  • What extra information do you get from each of these tests?
  • How soon I do get the results of these tests?
  • Could you please describe what each of these tests involves and tell me how to prepare for them?
For Surgery
  • What will be the cosmetic results of my surgery? How will my breast look?
  • Will I need a prosthesis?
  • What is your opinion about breast reconstruction?
  • Are there any dangers associated with reconstruction?
  • When is the best time to have reconstruction?
  • If I don't have insurance coverage, what are my options?
  • How many days will I be in the hospital for my breast surgery?
  • What are the side effects of surgery?
  • How soon will I feel physically normal?
For Chemotherapy
  • What are the names of the drugs that will be used?
  • Is there evidence that they are more effective than other chemotherapy drugs?
  • How many treatments will I need?
  • How will the treatments be given?
  • Can I go home afterwards?
  • What will I feel like after my treatments?
  • Will I be able to work?
  • Will I be able to take care of my children?
  • What are the possible side effects of these treatments?
  • Will my hair fall out?
  • Will I be nauseous?
  • Will I be exhausted?
  • Will I get mouth sores?
  • Is there anything I can do to lessen the side effects?
  • If I am taking chemotherapy, can I eat all kinds of foods?
  • Can I drink alcohol?
  • Can the cancer spread even though I am on chemotherapy?
  • Will chemotherapy affect my sex life?
  • Will chemotherapy affect my chances of getting pregnant and having a normal baby?
For Radiation
  • What areas of my body and/or breast will be irradiated?
  • How many treatments will I have?
  • How will I feel after the treatments?
  • Will I be able to work?
  • Will I be able to take care of my children?   
  • What are the side effects of radiation?
  • Is there anything I can do to lessen the side effects?
  • Can I eat anything I want during the weeks I have radiation?
  • Can I drink alcohol?
  • Will this affect my sex life?
  • Will radiation affect my chances of getting pregnant and having a normal baby?
For Antihormonal Therapy
  • What is the name of the antihormonal therapy you are recommending?
  • (If your doctor recommends tamoxifen). Why aren't you recommending one of the newer aromatase inhibitors?
  • What can I hope to gain from taking antihormonal therapy?
  • How long do I have to take it?
  • Are there any side effects?
  • Is there anything I can do to lessen the side effects?
  • Will antihormonal therapy affect my sex life?
  • Can I get pregnant while on antihormonal therapy?
During Treatment and at Follow-Up Visits
  • How can I tell if the cancer is coming back?
  • Are there any danger signs to look for?
  • How often do you want to see me after my treatments are finished?
  • What tests will you give me at each visit after my treatments are finished?
  • What information will you get from those tests?
  • How can you tell if I am doing better?
  • How can you tell if the cancer is gone?
  • What can I do to stay healthy?
  • Do you have any recommendations about diet and exercise?
  • Should I try to eat organic food?
  • What about milk and meat products from animals that have been injected with growth hormone?
  • Can you refer me to a good support group for women with breast cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment